The Ministry of HRD and the University Grants Commission have taken a special interest in the promotion of higher education in the NER. For improving the GER, promoting higher education, and for encouraging children belonging to the economically weaker sections of the region, the UGC has decided to launch the “Ishan Uday” Special Scholarship Scheme for North Eastern Region from the academic session of 2014-15.
Before launching the scheme the UGC undertook wide-ranging consultations with State Governments and Central & State Universities of the NE region, the Ministry of, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, the North Eastern Council, Shillong, and other stakeholders.
- To provide equal opportunities for higher studies in NE Region.
- To increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in NE Region.
- To focus more on professional education in NE Region.
- Optimum utilization of NER Budgetary Allocation.
- For availing of scholarships under this scheme, the income of the parents of the student should not exceed Rs.4.5 lakh per annum.
- Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the scheme. The reservation shall be followed as per Government of India norms.
Last Date to Apply: 31 October 2022