It is observed that the number of girls as against boys in certain states is declining which is a matter of great concern. The females are even forced to give birth to the male child. In such circumstances the education of women needs to be used as an effective means for their empowerment and education will prepare them to have control over their lives.
The mindset which militates against the girl child could not keep pace with economic progress and literacy. The Government of India declared elementary education as a basic human right of every child. The Union Government of India has taken various steps to uplift the status of women by implementing various schemes including free education for girls. To achieve and promote girls’ education, UGC has introduced a
Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child to compensate for direct costs of girl education at all levels, especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl child in their families.
The objectives of the proposed scheme are:
- To support post-graduate education of single girl children in postgraduate courses only.
- To recognize the value of observance of the small family norm
- Slots: 3000
- Age limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in the first year of PG courses are eligible.
- The scheme applies to such single girl child who has taken admitted to regular, full-time first year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post-graduate college.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Mode of Application: Online
Last Date of Application: 31 October 2022