The Government of India has decided to organise a literacy week from 1st September to 8th September 2023 to celebrate International Literacy Day to generate awareness among all the stakeholders/ beneficiaries/ citizens about the ULLAS- Nav Bharat Saaksharta Karyakram. The week-long literacy campaign shall enable mass participation to inculcate a sense of Kartavyabodh and Janbhagidari in every citizen of the nation.
This vision would popularise the scheme and help us attain the goal of making India fully literate. The literacy week would encompass a spectrum of activities (given below) followed by the celebration of International Literacy Day on 8th September 2023. Another main objective will be to increase the number of registrations for learners and volunteers on the ULLAS mobile app. Students of Govt./aided schools, CBSE affiliated Schools, NVS, KVS, Teacher Training Institutions under NCTE, HEIs (Degree colleges/Technical institutions) under a University/AICTE, Scouts and Guides, NYKS, NCC, NSS Volunteers, Anganwadi Workers, Gram Panchayats, Farmers, Women, Retired Employee etc. Retired Employees, ICDS/ One Stop Centres, Members of school management Committees, Self Help Groups (SHGs), Neo-literates, Non-literates, etc. and citizens of the country are going to partake in the campaign.
A Centrally Sponsored Scheme ULLAS- Nav Bharat Saaksharta Karyakram on Education for All (erstwhile termed as Adult Education), was approved by the Government of India for implementation during FYs 2022-27 in alignment with National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
The Scheme has five components, namely
- Foundational Literacy and Numeracy,
- Critical Life Skills,
- Basic Education,
- Vocational Skills,
- Continuing Education.
The logo, slogan/tagline-Jan Jan Sakshar and popular name- ULLAS (Understanding of Lifelong Learning for All in Society) of Nav Bharat Saksharta Karyakram has been launched by the Union Education Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan on 29.07.2023 in New Delhi during the celebration of 3rd anniversary of National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- Meetings by District Education Officers and District Literacy Mission Authority for sensitization of ULLAS- Nav Bharat Saaksharta Karyakram.
- Meetings at Gram panchayats involving Panchayat Raj Institutions (PRIs) on ULLAS-Nav Bharat Saaksharta Karyakram
- Rallies/ Cycle Rallies/ Prabhat Ferries/ Nukkad Nataks etc. by students and teachers with banners and placards about ULLAS-Nav Bharat Saksharta Karyakra
- Workshop/conferences/seminars on awareness about ULLAS Nav Bharat Saksharta Karyakram
- Radio jingles and short films
- Awareness through posters, pamphlets and displayed in public places like wall paintings, posters, etc
- Tree plantation drive, debate and discussion about environment awareness, and cleanliness drives by Stakeholders.