Higher Education has played a very vital role in the history of nation-building all over the world. It is amply clear that no rise in general standards of living and culture is possible without strengthening the higher education system in the country. It calls for a multipronged strategy. There is a need to modernize our higher education system, and equally important to continuously attract young and talented students to pursue higher education. It is being increasingly observed that the brighter lot is not pursuing Post Graduate education in our institutions of higher learning. To emerge as a powerful nation, there is an urgent need to bring talented boys and girls into Post-Graduate education by providing them good incentives in the form of scholarships. The UGC, therefore, introduced a Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship Scheme for University undergraduate rank holders.
Duration: The scholarship may be tenable for two years to enable the rank holders of each university at the undergraduate level to pursue their Master’s Degree. All universities/degree awarding institutions would be required to issue rank certificates to the toppers of the university in B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com.
Purpose: The purpose of this scheme is to attract talent for pursuing post-graduate studies besides strengthening the basic subjects at the Undergraduate level. The awardees, under this scheme, can pursue their Postgraduate program in any area of specialization in any institution of higher learning in the country.
Objectives of the Scheme
- To promote and nurture talent;
- To reward meritorious students with outstanding performance at the Undergraduate level for pursuing postgraduate studies;
- To promote study in basic courses at the undergraduate level. Professional courses are not covered under the scheme;
- To build up academic excellence at the postgraduate level across the colleges and universities in the country.
- The scholarship is only available to the student for the first PG Degree.
- Age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in the PG course.
- The Undergraduate courses from the following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships:
- Life Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Social Sciences
Last Date of Application: 31 October 2022